Read the Blog

NAVIGATE

Kelly H Photo

Oak Canyon Love Story

December 1, 2017

GENOVESE

A Beautiful Love Story

I met Dolly a little over a year ago and was so thrilled that she contacted me for a family session. Even though I had met her in the past, we had only spoke a few moments, so I was excited to start the session and get to know her and her beautiful family even more. We arrived at Oak Canyon Nature Center and everything fell into place. The location was beautiful, her and her family were so kind, and they were a dream to photograph. Throughout the session I witnessed the love Matt & Dolly had towards each other and their new baby, August Rose. Being in the moment I couldn’t help but ask how they met. As they told me I couldn’t stop smiling and I am pretty sure I had to hold back some emotions as my eyes started to water. Their story was one of the most beautiful journeys I have ever heard. I wanted to share their story in hopes that it would bring joy, comfort, and motivation to others. At first I was going to write it myself, but I started to stare at my blank computer as my fingers couldn’t type and put into words what their story is. I contacted Dolly and she was happy to tell her story again so I can share it with you all. I hope you fall in love with it as much as I did…..

Matt & Dolly’s Little Love Story

Our story is so special to me because it gives me reason to believe that sometimes two people are just “meant to be”.

Matt was involved in a very serious car accident a few years ago. He and his friend were stopped on the shoulder of the freeway with a flat tire when a driver of a cement truck fell asleep at the wheel and hit them. The accident left Matt with a multitude of terrible injuries and paralyzed from the waist down. When he was medically stable enough to leave ICU, he was transferred to a rehab program to start on his recovery. It just so happened that the rehab program was mine. As his occupational therapist, I got Matt out of bed for the first time since the accident.

Though we kept a professional relationship throughout his time in rehab, there was no denying that we had good chemistry. Not to mention we also have the same birthday! We kept in touch after Matt left the hospital and one thing led to another – that undeniable chemistry turned into love. Through it all, Matt kept pushing and working hard toward recovery. He is now able to stand and walk!

I’m so thankful that fate brought us together. The accident was something so terrible, but if it didn’t happen, we never would have found each other. When I think about everything the two of us have been through, I get so overwhelmed with joy. I just can’t believe this life we are now blessed with. Our hearts are so full…and even more so with the addition of baby August Rose to our little family!

<3 Dolly

Matt & Dolly’s Beautiful Baby August Rose

Thank you Matt and Dolly for allowing me to document your love. I am so blessed to have clients, and now friends like you! Your family is so beautiful!

comments +

1. Nikki

December 1st, 2017 at 6:35 pm

What an adorable family! You photographed them so beautifully! I love those images!

2. Kelly

December 2nd, 2017 at 5:15 am

Thank you so much! So sweet of you!

3. chelsea w

December 2nd, 2017 at 5:43 am

I am seriously tearing up over here, their story is so sweet! You captured their love and happiness to well, it makes my heart happy!

4. Jan

December 2nd, 2017 at 6:42 am

What a beautiful love story. Love the location and light. Great job! And the baby is so cute.

5. Deb B.

December 2nd, 2017 at 9:00 am

Awww what a beautiful and touching love story. I’m so glad they shared it from their point of view. And little Baby August Rose!! She is absolutely adorable.

6. Alyssa Bouma

December 2nd, 2017 at 2:16 pm

oh my goodness i have never heard such a beautiful meeting story. thanks for sharing! And these photos are precious! I can’t imagine what it means to them to have photos of Matt standing and holding their child!

7. kym

December 2nd, 2017 at 5:01 pm

Awww I love the story, They are so beautiful and happy.. They did a amazing job by going to you, you took stunning photos of their family.

8. Taylor Catherine

December 2nd, 2017 at 5:43 pm

Oh my gosh…what a fricken story. This should be a movie, it made me tear up. On a side note…that’s where we got married! Such a gorgeous setting to photograph this family love story at.

9. Kelly Hogrebe

December 11th, 2017 at 10:10 pm

It is such a gorgeous location! I would love to see your wedding photos from there! I bet it was beautiful!

10. Laura

December 2nd, 2017 at 6:31 pm

Oh nurse! Some people are just "meant to be" and it’s story like this of hardship, recovery and then love that remind us of that.
    The old growth tree grove in the beginning was lovely.

11. Ashley

December 2nd, 2017 at 6:31 pm

I almost feel bad for saying this – but what a beautiful story! Thank you for sharing this! And oh my goodness – baby August is adorable!! I love these!

12. jiyeon

December 2nd, 2017 at 7:01 pm

what a gorgeous family you have captured! also their baby is adorable! ahhhhh

13. Alyssa Nicole

December 3rd, 2017 at 1:59 am

What a beautiful story. They look like an amazing family!

14. sarah

December 3rd, 2017 at 2:28 am

omg her dress is so pretty. The hair on that baby is better then mine, I love it!

15. Kristin

December 3rd, 2017 at 4:04 am

Could they be any cuter?! So much love here! And their baby is adorable! What beautiful photos!!

16. Lacey Fincher

December 3rd, 2017 at 2:08 pm

What a sweet love story and beautiful family! Oak Canyon was such a perfect location for this beautiful family photography session.

17. cori

December 3rd, 2017 at 5:36 pm

I love how this blog starts! I totally didn’t see the baby coming in the photos lol. 🙂 I love how you started this beautiful Oak Canyon Love story started.