So you are ready to say I Do! Congratulations! Besides planning all the decor and what music you are going to dance to you MUST get a marriage license to make it all official! So here are the steps to take on how to get a marriage license in Los Angeles.
Step 1: Apply for a Marriage License
In Los Angeles there are two ways to apply. You can either apply online or in person at the county clerk branch offices.
- Click here for the online application.
- After you apply online you and your fiance will need to go to the county clerk branch to pay and pick up the license.
- In Person
- If you are applying in person you and your fiance will need to be present.
- Make sure to bring Valid IDs
- You will want to book your appointment for the marriage license no more than 90 days before your wedding.
Step 2: Pick up your Marriage License
Within 15 days of applying you both need to pick up the license from one of these 7 county clerk locations. They are located in:
- Beverly Hills
- East Los Angeles
- LAX Courthouse
- Van Nuys
Remember to each have a valid photo ID. This includes a Drivers License or Passport.
There are two different kinds of licenses you can pay for:
- Confidential License $85
- This license does not require a witness, but you must get married in the county where the license was issued. (So if you are getting the license from Los Angeles County then you will need to get married in Los Angeles county.)
- Public License $91
- This license requires witnesses and allows couples to get married in any county in California.
Step 3: Register the License
After 90 days of receiving the marriage license (This is 90 days from getting the license, NOT 90 days from getting married) you will need to register your marriage license with the county clerk’s office! After 90 days it will no longer be valid.